Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I Vow

In honor of two wonderful, inspiring writers (my Granddad and Maya Angelou) who both passed away recently, I share with you (and them) my most recent poem, "I Vow":
"I Vow"

I vow
To open every book 
Starting with page one 
Keep on turning, keep reading 
Till I've read the last one. 

I vow 
To keep on learning 
For the world is vast 
Flowing with people and ideas 
Everyone part of the cast

I vow 
To stay forever young 
And live each single day 
From sunup to sundown 
Never letting it get away. 

I vow 
To take a step back 
Relax and smell the air 
Fresh as spring flowers 
No troubles, not a care. 

I vow 
To love with my heart 
So fully, so strong 
A bond that never breaks 
No matter who's wrong. 

I vow 
To have a quick pint 
Or shot, or glass or three 
For breakfast, lunch or dinner 
All the above, it's up to me. 

I vow 
To never forget 
That all life carries on 
In different shapes and forms 
So we're never truly gone.

- 5/17/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment